Monday, February 13, 2012

Music: The Grammys

fair warning: I don't pay any attention to new music. I live under a rock to the point that on any given day I couldn't tell you one song/album/artist that's in the iTunes top 10. My perspective on the Grammys is probably comparable to that of a 40 year old man.

some thoughts:
1. Overall: WOW, that's a lot of flashiness. From Lady Gaga's weird fish net outfit to some of (basically all of) the performances, there was a lot going on. Everything that went into Rihanna's (I think? the cracked-out looking one) performance must've been so overwhelmingly time consuming and stressful that they forgot to attempt to make her singing sound decent. She was so off of her voice track that it sounded like a duet. This theme seemed to run throughout the entire show. Coldplay's performance was decently respectable but was all of that neon, epileptic-seizure-inducing flashiness absolutely necessary? What little time I spent reading Grammys tweets revealed something ironic that made me quite happy: Adele's performance was the star of the show even though it was pretty much as bare-bones as it could be.

2. I'm tired of the Foo Fighters. Their early music was cool. Dave Grohl irritates me. He seems to love himself a bit too much for my taste. We get it, you're famous. Get that hair out of your face.

3. Is it a requirement that all of the performers reenact their music video?...it amps up the cheese factor pretty hard for me. Taylor Swifts hillbilly thing: why?

4. The friends I was watching with got rather irritated with my constant questions. "Who's that?...She's like a rapper, or what?...Does she always look like that?...Is this the song right now?" (compare to: Phyllis in episode of The Office where they're watching Glee)

5. The Coldplay/Willie Nelson/animated/Chipotle ad caused me to nerd-out pretty hard in a "zomg this is coooooool!" way. I was in hopes it was some type of "support organic/free range food" ad, but nevertheless, a thumbs up for Chipotle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfSGt6rHos

No comments:

Post a Comment