Monday, February 20, 2012

Movie (plus social media!): Tenure

I first watched this movie on Netflix about a year ago, choosing it solely because Luke Wilson was on the cover. Shallow? Perhaps.

I was at a loss for a movie the other night and came across it again on Netflix so I decided to revisit. Not long into it I remembered that it's freaking hilarious in a completely-fits-my-personality-and-outlook-on-life-exactly way. After watching for about an hour and freaking out my neighbors with my audible laughter, I sent a tweet to a friend saying "Tenure will be your new favorite movie!"

The next morning I woke up to a re-tweet of my tweet by none other than screenwriter and director of the movie. Sweet! I tweeted him to tell him how much I liked the movie and he responded promptly. COOL! I love real people. Later that night my friend came over and we watched it again while trading funny lines from the movie back and forth with the director. He's freaking awesome, check him out: @mikemillio

But anyway, Tenure is an indie comedy that follows college professor Charlie Thurber (Luke Wilson) as he does his best to make some progress in his teaching career and gain some respect from his colleagues.  Even though he's an awesome teacher he can't seem to get a break, running into ironically hilarious failure at every possible moment. His trouble at work is compounded by pressure from his father: an educated man living in an assisted living place with an "I don't need to be here" attitude. (see The Savages: another hilariously sad and honest film I wholeheartedly recommend)

After surviving the trials and tribulations of Bigfoot Club, Erotic Poetry Club, childish pranks, being hit on by a student, and being accused of getting pee in places it shouldn't be, Charlie is forced to choose between the respect and prestige of tenure and staying true to his own teaching philosophies: just enough emotional mushy-ness to not ruin the humor of the rest of the film while simultaneously adding a little meaning.

Thanks, Mike Million!

1 comment: