Saturday, January 28, 2012

Movie: Steel Magnolias

...because, (confession:) I've never seen it before.

thoughts:
1. I had just finished stuffing my face with Buffalo Wild Wings, so Dolly Parton's freakishly tiny waist was not what I wanted to see.
2. That's a lot of big hair.
3. Sally Field is borderline terrifying.  I wasn't sure anything would ever rival her bipolar rant in the restaurant at the end of Mrs. Doubtfire, but her breakdown scene after the funeral in this movie was equally as emotionally scarring.  Though, to be completely honest, I didn't hear any of the dramatic things that were coming out of her mouth.  All I could do was stare at her angry/sad/confused face and hear, "THE WHOLE TIME!?"
4. I love Mrs. Doubtfire.
5. I loved everyone's crazy cat glasses.  Those need to come back into vogue.
6. Dylan McDermott.  WOW.  I offer my sincere thanks to the casting director for choosing to break up all the big hair and estrogen with his beautiful self.  Not to mention the fact that he has aged very, very well... (Googles photos.)
7. Shirley MacLaine's character is me in 40 years, minus the grungy dog, but absolutely including the overalls.
8. I need to watch Stepmom again soon.
9. Shooting things with guns looks rather fun.
10. I'm glad I wasn't already in a fragile emotional state when I decided to watch this.  It goes on the shelf next to I Am Sam, The Pianist, and any movie ever made about 9/11: almost too depressing to even be enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I love Steel Magnolias..I remember watching it with my mom when I was 12 or so. Another good one is Terms of Endearment..it's sort of in the same genre and also has Shirley MacLaine.

    ReplyDelete